Monday 5 April 2010

Research methods learning diary 6

Again I couldn’t make the campus session as I have started my intensive training at my new job. It has been a stressful week as I have so much to take in at my new job and in the back of my mind I am constantly thinking of uni work and wanting to be up to date. I feel a little behind as I feel I have not researched all areas yet, and haven’t decided what methods to use.

I wanted to attend this campus session as the topic today was about Ethical dimensions and Ethical permission. As I was unable to attend I have looked into Sophie Gilberts diary as she always produces information about the campus session from a student point of view and I have read posts delivered from Rosemary and Peters.

The lecture commenced with Peter Bryant informing us about a website called Survey Monkey which I and Sophie have previously encountered and designed a questionnaire. It is an extremely helpful website and it is free. I feel it has developed my skills for designing a survey/questionnaire because it allows all types/formats to be used e.g. multiple choice questions, one word answer only, scaling etc and then allows you to read the answers given by participants so you can analyse them. After reading them I have come up with many new questions that I will deliver in a post very soon.

I do remember being told briefly about conducting a pilot (practise) questionnaire/interview etc to eliminate any problems, bias or ethical issues before our ‘real’ methodology is actually put into practise. For me it has enlightened me on another area of research that I will later discuss. Survey Monkey is also going to help me complete Activity 7 which is going to be the survey I have created and critique it.

I have learnt that during the session Rosemary went through a series of slides educating the students about Ethical Issues in Research.
Rosemary firstly highlighted the importance (when analysing a questionnaire) of taking the whole sentence to avoid taking it out of context (see Rosemary’s blog for a good example). You must ensure you are attributing fairly. http://rosemarymcguinness.blogspot.com

I still feel that this is an area I don’t feel fully confident about, and I will have to do further research on Ethics in order to understand it fully, this will then allow me to complete an Ethics Statement.

Over the next few hours I aim to do some research on ethics using other student’s blogs, Bells book and the internet.

Wish me luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment