Wednesday 11 August 2010

Back to school!!!!!!!!!!

Ok people, it's time to get down to the serious stuff. Project time.

So it's been a lovely few months chillaxing and not doing anything that involves the word 'project' or 'proposal' however now I feel it's time to get a move on. I have been putting off doing anything because of the pressure I feel to do well. I have high expectations of myself and I dont think this has helped the situation.

However, I have been busy with some basic foundations to my project. I have landed myself some more pole teaching work. I now work for three pole dancing company's.

1. Pole Confessions http://www.poleconfessions.co.uk

2. Northern Pole Divas http://www.northernpoledivas.co.uk

3. Poletastic http://www.poletastic.com

So, I have been busy, busy, busy. What’s great about my new jobs is I get the opportunity to work with girls aged 14-16 and get them interested in vertical pole training, because if Pole dancing does become a future Olympic sport they will need to be trained from a young age. At Poletastic It's great as I get to access the latter age group that I want my project to be focused on the 30-35 bracket.

I get booked for regular work with Poletastic and mainly Pole parties. Pole parties are commonly for lady’s hen nights or women’s birthdays that want to see what it’s like. They are great fun, the women get a great experience, gain some confidence by being surrounded by their friends and get an idea what it's all about.

The access to these women will benefit my project as I can get my questionnaires filled out by plenty of women, some who will want to experience the fun of the lesson, some who are there because they have to. It will also be a good way to meet people and invite them to my focus group.

So, Although I have not yet started anything on paper for my project I have been busy laying the foundations. So watch this space................................................

2 comments:

  1. Abbi - hope you don't mind - we used your blog for an exercise on Induction Day and here are the comments that were collectively put together as bullet points...

    • The sexual element – the cultural context and what is ‘acceptable’
    • British views compared with other views in other countries
    • To make it appear as a ‘sport; it needs structure – does this already exist
    • Sport or art form?
    • What are the consequences of promoting either the ‘sport’ or ‘dance’ (erotic) quality?
    • An element /discipline of gymnastics?
    • It’s name? ‘pole-work’
    • How other ‘excluded’ disciplines have become ‘acceptable’?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not at all I'm flattered. Very interesting as I am plotting focus group question at the moment and these are going to be added.

    What I know already

    The USPDF holds comps every year and they do not accept any vulgar routines or women with unacceptable clothing.

    Haven't looked into other countries but Im not saving the world, yet!!

    Pole comps have been taking place for years in many countries that follow a strict structure with rules and regulations.

    Sport/Art form? Thats what I am trying to find out, but what defines as sport/art form?

    The comps aren't erotic, people can see that what happens in the comps and see that its very different to whats seen in the mens clubs.

    Yes I think it is an element/discipline of gymnastics, its like the bars but a vertical pole.

    I think it should be called Vertical Pole.

    Belly dancing.

    These areas are vey interesting thanks Paula

    ReplyDelete