Thursday 4 March 2010

SKY’s Pineapple Dance Studios

What can I say, I think that Pineapple studios is great I actually admire Pineapple studios as most of the auditions I attended where held there, I have had classes there and I used to go in the shop every Sunday that I went down to dance at the Urdang even though I never bought anything. It has an incredible reputation as it holds daily classes for professionals and non-professionals to go there and dance their socks off and it has a huge success rate not to mention the amazing choreographers such as Lynne Page and teachers like Linda Dadd and Andrew Stone that have been in and out of that building.

However, the programme on TV really irritates me i think the majority of it is embarrassing. The information tells you that it “continues to lift the lid on the lives of Pineapple’s twinkle-toed talents”. I am starting to think that it isn’t about what Debbie Moore (founder) has created or that it actually films much of the twinkle-toed talents at Pineapple I feel like it’s the big queen Louie Spence’s claim to fame by being a prat on TV and talking and filming him wanting and having Botox. Yes ok that was a bit harsh but come on this is a professional industry and I don’t think he is being professional advertising his cleavage or wearing a tutu with his Calvin Klein’s on (Thursday 5th March 2010) he is meant to be an artistic director of a successful business.

What annoys me more than the fact that he can’t help draw attention to himself is that I feel that he is giving people an impression that that’s what a lot of male dancers are like, it annoys me because I have recently being having a discussion with my male friends that male dancers are just as manly (physically and mentally) as rugby players. Yes rugby players are built like machines and like to play pile on however male dancers can execute their legs in the air whilst turning on the spot.

Besides all the annoying things he says and ridiculously stupid attention seeking things that he does on the programme it is quite nice to see that there is a programme that reflects a small amount of footage about the reality of the dance life and the process of elimination in auditions (even when Louie is being unprofessional and saying inappropriate comments). I know that auditions are harsh and I’d actually like to hear what the panel said about me when at their auditions as it probably would have helped me as opposed to frustrating me.

I only wished that it was more about the dancers and not about the blonde divorcee Trisha that sang out of tune for people in a club and for my own ears! (and they wonder why this isn’t on ITV or the BBC). It should be about the dancers that what Pineapple studios is there for I’m sure it would be much more interesting if you heard about how far they travelled for the audition, how long they danced for before they were cut, how much it cost to attend the audition, if they got the job how long for, pay, and general lifestyle of a dancer. That way the public can see how hard the industry is and that we train like footballers for a place to perform what we love to do and yet get not even a quarter of the pay packet or lifestyle.

Well I keep watching because one episode made a reference to Pole dancing when Louie made a comment about a girl called Tatiana that was giving her all in an audition that was fairly "exotic" and was the only dancer who wore heels and he said “just give her a pole and send her off down to Stringfellows" which i thought was a little unprofessional but will be great for my research for my project and I keep watching in case there might be more useful quotes and comments for my project. I’m just going to have to grit my teeth when Louie is speaking!!!

7 comments:

  1. loved reading this. I have not seen the program at all and can't watch it on catch up T.V :( However my mum and dad and great auntie have been telling me all about it. They have been saying how its realy great to watch and see what my life in london was like. Except my Aunt who is 72 said "its all about that gay Queen" haha. I wish I could watch it so that I could tell them whether it is or isnt like my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree wholeheartedly with your post! I haven't seen a full episode although have been informed by children i teach 'I saw you pirrouette on tv' (oh no!) and caught glimpses on the internet. As a fan of Pineapple and the range and professionalism that it shows they really have portrayed it as something that it is not! Not once when i have been there have i ever seen Debbie and ive seen louis once but only sitting in his office! Its such a shame they have't followed the intense classes and the intesity of being a dancer in london! All looks rather false, bitchy and 'twinkletoed' to me!

    Hope you are well x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was desperate to watch it and managed to find a site to download it, only to be disappointed because as your aunt said danielle 'its all about that gay queen'!
    I went to that audition where louie is commentiing on the pole dancer and it frustrated me because it was clearly set up so the show could film a real audition but everyone was acting like a pantomime dame and it was like no other audition i have been to!
    There are snippets of what the life is like but on the most but I think the programme makes people lose respect for males in the industry and does not allow us to see it as a serious profession and not just one big show! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey girls, im so glad you all agree so interesting to hear what you have all said, Dani dont waste your life watching iyou will be so disapointed!!
    Im so glad that you have said that you very rarely see them as when you watch the programme there in your face 24/7 when i actually wish they would be in their offices!!
    And well, for the comments about the audition i was really mad as the comments were so unprofessional and im glad that yout agree that male dancers could be percieved as "all gay", "bitchy" and my partner actually finds him so annoying that he cant watch it and i have been trying to tell him for years that male dancers are very strong, not all gay, have excellent stamina and are exceptional but Louie doesnt really justify what i say.
    Well im looking forward to hearing what others might say but glad you ladies all agree :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. the series is great so far, guess what am in a band and we are getting some confident training from that series how interesting. it doesnt matter if the dude is gay he is pulling things off and doing whats right there the gut is fantastic i rate him


    Abbi btw we are meant to be doing our proposal right

    ReplyDelete
  6. It isn't a gay rant or an attack on him being gay, its about him in my eyes and the girls that have commented eyes as an unprofessional artistic director. As Alys said they are just acting up to the camera and are not in real life actually on the scene. I wont deny that some of the content is useful and can help various people with training but it is supposed to be about the dancers and the choreographers but it is mainly about king Louie!!

    You should have made a start on the activities ie 2, and now have two blog diary entries (as explained in the module diary) and have come up with your chosen area of research for your project and starting to decide what ways to research will help you answer your project question. So i am going to do about publics perception on pole dancing and if it should be considered an olympic sport, so i am currently finding which ways are going to help me get those answers and deeper areas that i have to find out for example olympic criteria and what i thought of pole dancing bfore i started teaching it. Do you follow?
    Where are you at with project ideas, maybe let me know and i can comment on what i think?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, a couple of links to read through from my site :)

    http://www.adamjay.co.uk/blog/poledancing-politics-olympics/

    http://www.adamjay.co.uk/blog/latest-news/pole-dancing-the-olympics/

    Hope this helps in any way

    Adam Jay

    ReplyDelete