Tuesday 19 January 2010

Experience V Education

Ok so if you have read my previous post you will understand where this post is going, if you haven’t get a load of the comments as I am interested to hear about what you all think about the idea of

"All the experience but under qualified" versus "Educated but no experience".

Personally I have experienced both of these problems when applying to two different jobs. The first teaching job I went for at a local dance school declined me as I had no experience teaching even though I was professionally trained and had my CDE in Ballet and Modern classic example of “Educated but no experience”. The second time I did some work at a grammar school assisting with the A-Level Dance students with choreography and routes into dance, I had all the experience of teaching by then, I had been in a professional environment, had professional training, knew the dance world but didn’t have a degree or PGCE to continue working there so “All the experience but under qualified”.

So, just to make it clear (from my point of view) this is not a post to disagree with striving for a good education or seeking experience as I have got a history of consistent qualifications and experience, I am just interested in what people think about the subject on a whole.

I do think that the nature of what I have been through as a dancer, been judged and not always what people are after and the nature of being a teacher where you need to persevere and where there is always a new course or new challenge to be thrown at you is the whole reason why I can see both sides of this predicament.

Let me know what you think, can’t wait to read,

Abs

No comments:

Post a Comment