Wednesday 5 January 2011

Log 1 - Commentary on sharing resources using delicious

Delicious is a social bookmarking site, social bookmarking allows you to share the
bookmarks you would normally keep to yourself on your internet browser. Delicious
enables you to store, and best of all share useful resources and information that you
have chosen to bookmark. Once you have bookmarked the sites they are visible to your chosen network of friends. Delicious makes it quick and easy to access as there is a clear, direct link to the websites that you have stored; you can also personalise your bookmarks with tags so that they are organised into categories for example Research Methods, Dissertation & Literature.

At first I was slightly apprehensive about setting up a Delicious account as anything that requires me to set something up on a computer scares me as without a demonstration. I personally think I am hopeless with computers, however the module handbook has a guide on how to set a Delicious account up and Danielle Stacey attached a video link on her blog with a video off you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeBmvDpVbWc. I was apprehensive about setting up a Delicious account because in order to have one you have to have a Yahoo account. I didn’t wish to have another email account as I already have two email addresses and I didn’t think it was necessary to have three as it was going to be another username and password that I needed to remember. Nevertheless regardless of my initial negative thoughts I set up my Yahoo account and chose my Delicious username.

To begin with I felt that the majority of my network were bookmarking their specific project topics like “Confidence in children” and “Social skills in children” so I started to bookmark my own dissertation subject, I realised that although I find peoples dissertation subjects interesting to read I didn’t find it directly relevant to my learning. I started to find myself indulging and spending too much time reading articles and documents on topics that are nice to know, but not relevant to my learning. However, recently I feel people have started to share some really useful documents such a Michelle Wallbanks who has shared many documents on “Mixed Method Approach”, I have found these really useful as although I had done sufficient amounts of research on mixed methods what she found read a lot easier which is perfect for my learning style as complicated text I find harder to digest.

I have found Delicious useful, as before I knew about Delicious I was copy and pasting the URL address next to text about the site which of course is time consuming and easy for errors to occur. Whereas Delicious won’t delete any sites unless you physically request it to. I also find it efficient as I can access all of my bookmarks and those created by other people via any computer or phone providing there is an internet connection. This has given me the freedom to access all my bookmarks in one place without the need of being directed continuously to a number of different sites.

On the whole I think Delicious is clever and it is easy to use when you learn how to set it up! I think it will be a site that I will start to love when I get totally clued up on how to use it to its full potential. For now I will use it as a work library and give my USB a holiday for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment