Sunday 2 May 2010

Ethics Statement

To complete this module and start my project I have to demonstrate that I understand what ethics are to be considered, and that I understand the procedures and information required to go about asking for permission to collect any data.

I have learnt about lots of different ways to collect data and have understood that data collected by conducting interviews, holding a focus group, performing an experiment/case study and any observations need to have consent from the person it involves. From an ethical point of view the person wishing to collect the data will be required have consent via a contract that is signed by the person giving/releasing the data and the person collecting the data. Anyone who is under the age of 16 would need to have consent in writing by a parent/guardian. Consent needs to be authorised before any action takes place as this will not only be respectful to the person giving the data but also will protect the person collecting the data in case any problems arise during the process.

I wish to conduct a focus group, the focus group will have a minimum of ten people, me and someone taking notes. It would take place at my house as I have access to a pole where my demonstration will take place. To make sure that I don’t miss any of the conversations and topics been discussed I wish to record my focus group and video my demonstration to see any body language or facial expressions as this will prompt further questions towards the focus group in the next session. To do this I will need permission. To get this permission I will provide all of the focus group with a contract. The contract will include everything that is going to take place in the period of time that was agreed. It will state that the data is been collected for my university degree and a general interest/passion, that it will all take place at my home address. It will clearly state when it will take place with the agreed dates and times, importantly the contract will explain how the data will be collected which will be the asking of questions for perceptions in full detail. Finally it will state everyone that is involved and this will be all the people including themselves, me any anyone who is videoing or writing notes for me. These things are essential and the more information about the process, the clearer it is for the person reading and signing it. My contract will lastly include how the data will be recorded and how it will be stored and deleted. It will also include that at any point of the procedure even if the contract is signed that they may withdraw any information covered in the focus group.

It is important that these regulations are put in place, if they are not followed then my project could face illegal problems and could cause huge confliction between me and the people involved, this could then limit the depth and facts of my project. I am fully aware of the regulations and processes I need in order for me to collect data for my project and have put great time and thought to consider all of the ethics that are involved in completing my project properly and professionally. I have researched numerous websites to find examples of contracts that would be required for my focus group and will use one of them as a guide.

As you could be videoing, observing a person or any of the above methodologies the contract must include everything that is going to take place. It should state why data is been collected, where it will all take place, when it takes place with the agreed dates and times, how the data will be collected in full detail and who is involved and this should be all the people including themselves, yourself any anyone who is videoing or writing notes. These things are essential and the more information about the process, the clearer it is for the person reading and signing it.

From what I have researched all contracts should include how the data will be recorded and how it will be stored and deleted. It should also include that at any point of the procedure even if the contract is signed that they may withdraw any information or future interviews, videos ect from taking place.

If these regulations are not followed then any project could be illegal and could cause huge confliction between yourself and the person involved, this can then limit the depth and facts that any project requires.

I am fully aware of the regulations and processes I need in order for me to collect data for my project and have put great time and thought to consider all of the ethics that are involved in completing my project properly and professionally.



No comments:

Post a Comment