Sunday 14 March 2010

Research Methods Things to Focus on

So after a long debate with myself about whether or not I should focus my project on pole dancing I have to say I’m really excited about starting it. I have told so many people about it and they are all interested to find out what the outcome of my project will be. I have been playing around with a few ways to word my title here are some examples,

• Pole dancing to keep fit and increase confidence has become hugely popular in many gyms and dance studios all across the world. I want to know how the public perceive pole dancing and their thoughts about pole dancing as a future event at the Olympics games.

• Pole dancing is now advertised as a new way to keep fit. Do the public agree or do they still think of it as degrading? What would they think if it was considered as Olympic sport?

• Pole dancing understandably is seen as degrading for women, however times have changed and Pole dancing is an increasingly popular way to keep fit. Do the public see this as acceptable or still for what they hear and possibly have seen in men’s clubs? What are the public’s thoughts about pole dancing as a future event in the Olympics?

• Pole dancing is an increasingly popular way to keep fit, what are the public’s thoughts about pole dancing and would they support pole dancing as a future event at the Olympic games?

My thoughts are with the first bullet however I would like to get some feedback on these as I am interested to hear which one other people like.

The areas I need to research would be,

• Pole dancing as a way to keep fit and increase confidence, I would need to have evidence that pole dancing does support these statements.

• That it is popular in many studios and gyms worldwide, I am going to look into classes available in certain major cities such as NYC, London and Australia to back this up.

• The public’s thoughts, this could be positive comments about pole dancing or negative comments about pole dancing.

• The Olympic games, I would gather some research about the history of the Olympic games, events, criteria’s and recent modern sports that have become globally recognised sports that have a place in the Olympics.


I need to research these areas as I have made statements that need to be supported with evidence and the evidence I will use will come from those who pole dance already whether they are the people I teach, the people I know that pole dance for fitness, people who are part of Pole dancing organisations not to mention my own personal experience. I will have to do some thorough research on access to pole dancing classes/lessons worldwide to prove that it is popular through interviews with people who run and organise pole dancing classes around the UK. As for the public’s thoughts I would use interviews, questionnaires and surveys to gather this evidence. As for the Olympic Games extensive research and my own knowledge of the Olympic Games through doing A-Level PE will be important as this is the main area that I would like to publicise and bring attention to. The evidence that I recover will be summarised in my conclusion in my project.

The areas I would like to investigate and include are,

• My thoughts on pole dancing before I became interested in it and my thoughts now I pole dance

• Why I want to make people aware that pole dancing is not how its perceived in men’s clubs

• I want to know more about pole dancing in clubs and understand why people might think of it as degrading

• The positive outcomes and physical changes to people that take part in pole dancing

• Statements and proof that pole dancing is a sport that’s demanding physically and mentally

• If Pole dancing is seen as a sport similar to gymnastics?

• If it would be considered as a Olympic sport what a criteria would be ie, Dress, moves and music

• If it’s not considered as a sport for the Olympics why?


I feel that I have a range of things I want to unfold and areas I know I have to research. I now have to continue to discover and understand all the ways to research so that I can understand what will help me answer the questions I want to know.

I am going to do some in depth research on Primary and secondary research, Qualitative and Quantitative data, Casual, Exploratory and descriptive research, Validity and reliability. Then i can relate if any of these areas will be helpful for me to complete my project.

3 comments:

  1. I really like the 1st bullet. Its the one I would go with. I like that you will be writting about how you felt about pole dancing before you took the classes yourself. As I felt differently after I did one workshop (my hen night). I repect people who do it and how hard it really is. The amount of strength you need especially in your arms is crazy!!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like bullet 1 because it doesn't lead the reader or the people you are going to interview into a positive or negative view on pole dancing. where as the bullets with the word 'degrading' do.

    I think you definitely with have the best BA degree after this 'Abbi Williams BA Hnrs Professional Practise (poledancing)
    You will be unique!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha thanks Rosina can you imagine the eye-brow lifting i will get!!! I totally think your right about the degrading remark thanks.

    Hey dani, yeah think im going to go with that one and im really looking forward to it xx

    ReplyDelete