Wednesday 3 March 2010

Research Methods Learning diary 3

And then there was light!!!!
After many sleepless nights and driving myself mad about a title/subject for my project I can proudly say after much deliberation and a little help from my friends I have finally decided to go with my initial thoughts about the subject of Pole Dancing.

I have decided to base my project around Pole Dancing as I have been Pole dancing since April 2009 at Radcliffe Civic Hall and have just finished my training to teach the beginners class on Tuesday nights and I love it. I used to be a gymnast and was always intrigued with how the body is physically capable of holding lines and shapes whilst suspended in the air and now I am re-living my childhood passion just on a vertical bar not at horizontal one!

The first time I Pole Danced was for a hen party and it was so much fun. It was great for my friend who lacks a lot in confidence over her body and not to mention a great way to get the girls together and do something new. I loved it and of course being a trained dancer had its advantages not only making it look nice but been musical and confident. It was months later when I came across a poster about a taster lesson for Pole Confessions Pole classes where you could have a spin, a climb and sign up for a 6 week course which was great as after a nasty fall on my wrist that lead to surgery where I now consequently have screws in my wrist was the ideal fun way to get my strength back in my arms and upper body.

Claire my instructor/manager is great and advertises her classes as a way for women to come and keep fit the fun way, build confidence, make friends in a friendly, comfortable atmosphere. I have enjoyed every moment of it and from a physical side it has changed the strength of my body dramatically over the last 9 months and since teaching it I have enjoyed the class go home happy when they have had a good class.

So, to the nitty gritty bit. The reason I want to research Pole Dancing is because as a dancer I have no problem letting people know I teach people to Pole dance or that I Pole dance at home/in work however, those who don’t know me and a small percentage of those who do always lift their eyebrow or look at me with an “Oh really” face. I know what they think and I always feel like I have to justify it or explain that my class is in a civic hall not a club and that I teach it to all ages of women to keep fit and build confidence. Why should I explain these facts? Because some of the general public believe that Pole dancing is a disgrace and that it’s degrading to women. Yes its seen in men’s clubs and it has sexual connotations and I understand that naturally people would think that Pole Dancing for a man in a sexual manner is a nasty degrading thing to do HOWEVER personally I think that this is slightly unfair as come on its the 21st century and it’s become a new modern way to keep fit and increase strength.

Something that has interested me more is it has triggered a petition to give Pole Dancing a place in the Olympics. Yes I said Olympics!! I’m unsure how I feel about it personally however one thing I am sure about is don’t judge something until you have tried it because it really isn’t as easy as it looks or as degrading as you might think.

6 comments:

  1. Well done!!! I really look forward to reading this!!!
    I know this will keep your interest for the duration of the project.
    Danielle xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a really interesting topic! It sounds like a lot of fun!
    Have you decided where you are goign to focus your research in yet? Pole dancing is very broad! I personally really like the idea of researching it along the lines of becoming a recognised sport (eg why it deserves or not to be in the olympics) - I don't know anything about pole dancing but reading that bit got me really interested and it could help the petition!
    Good luck! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Danielle, Yayyyyyy.

    Alys i im going to base it on what are peoples perception of pole dancing as a sport and should it become an olymic sport, so i will ask people what they think of pole dancing those that pole dance and those that dont agree with it, do some testing and get people who dont think it should be a sport to try it and see if they change their mind. I hope to find people who think it shouldnt be a sport due to its history and do some research on pole dancing in clubs to maybe see why they would believe that as i understand that its a way to make a living and people have rent to pay however i never used to think that before i pole danced as a sport. I hope to get some information from those dancing in clubs or that have danced in clubs which could be risky and there will be some ethical things to sort out but then this will make the two different points of view equal and i might/will understand why they choose to believe that.
    As for the for pole as a sport and possibly an olympic sport i know enough people who pole dance and love it so i have access to those people to.

    I actually cant wait to start the project :-)
    So it would be interesting to use all you people to get your points of view and then maybe try a class and see what you think after it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abbi I know a girl in melbourne who might be able to help. She dances at a pole dancing club a few days a week. I could ask her if she was interested in answering a few questions via email for you? Let me know and ill get her email for you.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Abbi this sounds really interesting, especially as I've been thinking about taking up pole dancing as a hobby to keep fit and have fun, i haven't yet because of cost (they're really expensive compared to normal dance classes) and the best class to go to is yet to be found near me - but it's my next christmas present!! I think i will be talking to you next campus sesh!

    your idea of research sounds interesting and will be quite controversial i feel in terms of the results perhaps. Your class will be of a lot of use, i think, with one side of the opinions. I look forward to seeing this develop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucy definatly will talk to you, i am able to come to the next one so will talk about it, they are expensive but when i noticed the results and changes in my strength and muscles i never knew i had it is worth it plus its a challenge and i love it. I think it will be controversial to but thats why i want to do it.

    ReplyDelete