Sunday 28 February 2010

Activity 2 Advantages and disadvantages of workers as researchers.

Potential Advantages

Insider knowledge of:

· Problem/question to be researched

· Sources of information

· The organisation

· Key people

Can improve understanding/working practice.


Potential Disadvantages

· To close to the problem

· Influenced by my own expectations/values

· Influenced by others

· Duality of roles

To complete this activity I have to consider my worker-research position according to the above.

The research I have decided to carry out is of a qualitative nature. These people will be people who are in the same “industry” as myself, this will make the ease of conversation and understanding when discussing past experiences much easier to follow and analyze.

The criteria under which the candidates will be selected is quite specific, and if I did not have easy access to a wide network of people that belong to the industry, this research would be extremely difficult so personally I consider it an advantage being a worker- researcher, as choosing my area of research is more easily accessible by me knowing a problem/question to be researched. I will have the access to a wide range of people and facts I need in order to support my research as I wish to use the people that I teach. I will naturally know about organisations and the subject of my research as it’s something I love & teach others to love. I find it in my interest to gain more knowledge about the organisation and finally I will know the fundamental people involved in my area of research, and will more than likely encounter others who don’t share my thoughts.

As I am able to recognise all the advantages for my research I do think that the disadvantages of me as a worker-researcher are being influenced by my own expectations and personal values, this could really creep into play as I do have high expectations and values due to my professional background. This has benefited people I teach not to mention myself, however I do know that this could affect me as worker-researcher as my area of research is something I am extremely passionate about and want to bring to light and hopefully in the long-term alter people’s perceptions. If I consider a lot of these factors, I can worry about the possibility of becoming Bias or creating an emotional attachment that will affect my way of interpreting the experiences given resolving with unfair results

I believe that I am in an effective position to carry out my worker-researcher position, although I am also prepared for the bumps in the road along the way. I understand that not everything goes as planned and I will have to learn and evaluate problems that I will face.

No comments:

Post a Comment