Tuesday 20 October 2009

Links Of Interest- Doing A Class

I love to go and do a dance class. It’s a great feeling to reverse the roles and be the one listening to the teacher. When teaching the amount of actual dancing is minimized as you spend a lot more time observing and correcting the work performed by your class. Therefore when I can I like to get out and dance my heart out.

I think taking part in a class is also a good way to maintain and improve my technique, because I am not dancing as much and I teach mainly young children in the week I rarely get the chance to dance to my full potential or for a decent amount of time.

Some places I like to go is http://www.sunshine-studios.co.uk/ They do classes from Ballet, Hip-Hop to Pole dancing. They have a timetable Monday-Saturday and open from 5.00-10.00, so there’s always a class I go to.

I was also lucky to have the opportunity to do classes at Steps on Broadway http://www.stepsnyc.com/ Here in New York I really improved my technique I did comtempory with Julie Bour, Ballet with Kenny Larson, and Jazz with Richard Pierlon. They were amazing teachers and the competition in the class was so high I danced as if I were auditioning for a Broadway musical.

Doing a class lets me go to a place where I just think of dancing and performing, something I don’t do very often anymore so I love it, at the same time its keeping me fit and exercising and strengthening my body.

I think its important as teachers that we do take part in classes as we are demonstrators and our technique and performance will be copied, technique can be lost very quickly and bad technique = bad results.

Here is a video from sunshine and steps








No comments:

Post a Comment