Monday 5 October 2009

My Top 5 Resources


1. Contacts books- Published by The Spotlight www.spotlight.com

This book is great for people who are in Television, Dance, Film and the Radio industry. The content of the books have lots of information and contact details for companies such as dance companies, photography companies drama schools etc. I found it really useful when I wanted to send my CV’s to dance agencies. Everything is in one book that fits into your handbag, so if you don’t have the internet at the end of your index finger you can literally pull out your book highlight who you have contacted and off you go work out who’s next and jobs done.

2. The Stage- Newspaper, www.thestage.co.uk.

The Stage is the newspaper or website for the performing arts industry, it features lot’s of reviews about shows and competitions but most important of all the jobs and auditions that are going on. You can subscribe to the Stage so you know that you are defiantly going to get one and not worry that the local shop has sold out and that you’re going to miss out on the week’s auditions. It tells you what the auditions are for, where it is and the company that’s holding the auditions so you can decide whether to go or not. Simples!

3. You Tube

www.youtube.co.uk or www.youtube.com. These websites contain videos of everything you can imagine English and American. I watch you tube to see peoples dance choreography’s whether it’s Beyonce or the local dance schools show. Soon I am going to be teaching pole dancing to ladies that want to lose weight by trying something new and I’ve watched many American videos of pole dancing competitions, they are amazing and they inspire me so much and I am determined to be as good as them.
It’s useful and interesting to see what people have created or just to catch up on what’s going on on TV that you’ve missed so when you’ve missed the auditions for x-factor search it, click on it, watch it .

4. The Student Dancer: Emotional Aspects of the Teaching and Learning of Dance by Julie Buckroyd (2000) Book

This book really helped me when I left home and went in to full time training, it discusses education, welfare, counseling and psychology in relation to dance teaching and training. There’s a lot of information about dealing with injuries and eating disorders as Julia is the director of Obesity and Eating Disorders at Hertfordshire University she likes to study among dancers and teachers.
My mum also found it interesting as I was only 16 when I left home and entered a world that she didn’t know much about. The book is extremely useful if you know someone who’s about to go into dance training but also useful if you want to know more about dealing with injuries and disorders from a professor.

5. The Internet

In general, it’s the most useful resource of all. It’s great for accessing your emails, blogs, internet banking, and information for everything. You can read the news, do some online shopping for when you’re tied up and work unsociable hours or just no hours in the day to nip to the shops for ballet tights and chocolate for your bad days. You can do everything and access everything providing you have a connection.
I like to do my online banking and find it useful to book my train tickets and hotels over the internet as it takes five minutes and it’s done. I like to access the information I need over the internet as I don’t always have time to go to the library and get books.
The internet is rapidly changing and computers can be stressful if you don’t know how to use them but it’s another world at the end of your finger, it’s a connection for people a networking machine that keeps you in touch with who and what’s important to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment