Tuesday 20 October 2009

Observation is the Key

I recently watched a class taken by one of the teachers that I work with and I can’t get over how much I learned.

Sophie teaches a lot of nurseries and I’ll be honest the kiddies are not my department, however she is great with them. I was observing her class because I do now and again cover some nurseries for her and wanted to know how I can make the most out of them for the children and for myself. Sophie makes every class different by bringing in props and costumes such as feathers, shakers and crowns. She always uses a lot of imagery like fairies and soldiers and makes up stories like “at the beach” or “what’s in the pond”, she tries to be as creative as possible.

After watching her class I realised how important observation is. I have observed many classes before, it was a big module towards my Foundation in Dance Instruction however because I now have my own classes and don’t often get time to drop in and watch other peoples classes I’d forgotten how important it is to a dance teacher to observe from others.

No comments:

Post a Comment